Monday, September 10, 2007

Week Two

Journal



John Glenn



American Visions and Values- LA 400



September 10, 2007 -Week Two





Well week two was another weeks worth of reading that baffled me again. As I had stated in last weeks blog, this is all new reading for me. It is amazing all the information that is out there that I have never heard of. The writings of Plato and Freud are ones you hear about all the time, but unless you sit down and read them. You just have no clue what they are talking about unless you research the writer and some of their other writings. The readings were very interesting and I was able to learn from them.



The readings were a very interesting this week in that they were the type that would engage a fair amount of discussion. The one that seem to get everyone talking was the "The Antichrist" by Friedrich Nietzsche. This short story paints the picture of Christianity being a religion that makes a person weak and went on to describe how it corrupted the Western Culture. As you can imagine this was something that got opinions flying. One of the other readings I enjoyed was "An Outline of Psycho-Analysis" by Sigmund Freud. His writings are ones you always hear of, but never really sit down to read. It is interesting on how he describes some of the basis of the psyche for humans. The role that the ego and the super ego plays in who we are as a person.


I think what I enjoyed the most out of this weeks work was the decisions that came from this weeks readings. There were quite a few responses to a couple of them. You could tell that the readings hit a nerve with a few people. Especially Nietzsche, he still can make people angry at him 107 years after his death.

Some of what I would say was the tough part of this week, was reading Plato. I really had to work at understanding what he was trying to say. I have always been a very literal person, so the imagination had to work hard on these.

Overall a good week, plus the Huskers Won !


No comments: