Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Week Eight

Journal



John Glenn



American Visions and Values LA-400



October 23, 2007

Well the end is drawing near and it continues to get busier, with the readings and trying to get the final capstone ideas together. I have a good idea on how I want to approach my final projects. These are going to start requiring a lot more time to get these done on time. I still have a few more areas that I would like to research for my capstone.

I believe I have all the information put together for my digital story, this is going to be interesting to see if I can pull off all the electronic aspect of this one. I enjoy the challenge of the project, now just have to pull it off.

The reading this week was another week of interesting topics. My favorite that I did my posting on was by Andrew Carnegie. I had a little bit of knowledge of this man before I did the reading, but I was very impressed how he lived his life. This was a man that could, for the time pretty much have anything he wanted. His main objective was to ensure that everyone had what they needed. That was libraries and parks, he was willing to put his money where his mouth was and donate endless amounts of money. He wanted to ensure that the people of his communities had a library to improve their abilities to read and educate themselves. I love one of his sayings from the chapter, "A man who dies thus rich, thus dies disgraced".

The other reading that caught my attention was "Defining Deviancy Down" by Danial Patrick Moynihan. There was some interesting information that in this writing. The section pointing out the evidence how the children suffer from a broken home and how it leads to juvenile crime and increase in teenage pregnancies. He spoke the truth in how the morals and the standards of society had slipped away. This was another gentleman that I heard a little about when I was younger. When I researched him, I found out he had a very intriguing history.

I will be using some of information from both of these readings in my final capstone, they are perfect for my subject.

No comments: