Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Week Five

Journal



John Glenn



American Visions and Values LA-400



October 2, 2007



Week Five

I believe that this weeks readings were some of the best we have had to date in my opinion. These were on the theme of what I plan on doing my final project on, that is giving back to the community. It is my belief that this country was built on the premise of giving back a little more to the world, then that was given to you. We have seen time after time in our country how men and women gave their all to make this a fine respected country what it is. As some of the readings refer to this as a responsibility to our community and government.

My two favorite readings from this week were from Fredrick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln. You look at what Fredrick Douglass had to overcome to become the person he was. He exemplifies the character of of our country by not letting the society take you down. After escaping as a slave, he stood up for what he believed in.

I had never read Abraham Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address before, but I was impressed with how much he said in such a short speech. You could tell that he was a person of true moral judgement and cared for this country. It would have been interesting to see what history would have looked like if he was never assassinated.

Overall it was a good week, lots of reading and was able to start getting ideas for my final project. The Digital story ought to be interesting, I have never tried anything like this before.




No comments: